Here are some highlights from 2016 and my New Year’s Resolutions.
It’s interesting looking at to what this blog evolved to. It started with stories and then turned into this journal of trying to keep myself on track with goals and habits. I’m proud of keeping up my habit. Missed a few days but kept to it almost every day this year. Here’s the favorite posts from the year. There’s more of course, but I can’t pick all of them!
- Styrofoam cups
- Valentine’s Day Inky Illustration
- New Mexico Road Trip Vlogs
- Booktube-a-thon Letterings
- Independence Day Lettering
- Digital Plein Air Paintings
- Ogallala Photography
- NaNo Seeking Writer Final Animation
- Halloween GIF
- The Abyss Surrounds Us Lettering
- Startup Weekend Thank You & Medium Post
- Grandmom Illustration
Proud of all the hard work I put in this year, but still got a lot to get done. I looked through the original resolutions I had for 2016 to see what I had accomplished and pivoted.
- Animation Shorts: Make some shorts to advance my portfolio.
- Pivoted this one into learning better animation skills from School of Motion. I’m really proud of how far I’ve come in animating with After Effects. I feel more confident in where I want to go career-wise as a result.
- Created some GIFs and worked on a couple larger animations. Some are not finished but I hope to finish them in January.
- Stories: Learn how to tell better ones
- Changed this to learning through watching and analyzing short animations. I wrote a few stories through the year, but I changed focus to learning stories for animation and film.
- Minimalism: Start getting rid of things that don’t add value to my life.
- I never made a full commitment to this one so…It did save me many times during the year when I did want to buy objects. A good reminder to check if I actually needed it or if I just wanted it. Still need to clean out and donate many things, though.
- A career job: Get a career job in graphic design.
- Got one at the beginning of the year, but after that, I kind of dwindled. I lost a lot of confidence after I had to turn down a freelance project for the first time. November’s Startup Weekend really helped bring back that confidence. I think I will be able to focus better and apply for many things out of my comfort zone now.
- Read more.
- I’m def going to make a habit of reading a minimum of 15 pages a night. I read some books but I’m disappointed in the amount of reading I actually did.
- Start a Youtube channel.
- ACCOMPLISHED. I didn’t post much after the Booktube-a-thon but I started and that was the whole goal. I will hopefully post more in 2017 and find my footing there. I’m still camera awkward, but the more I practice the better it’ll be.
I’m happy with what I’ve done this year, a little annoyed at some parts of the work ethic, but excited to change these bad habits. Can’t wait to see what I make of 2017! I’ll admit 2016 was difficult with all the deaths and the sad moments, but we’re still here pushing forward. I’m just so excited to be out with the old and in with the new. I’m excited to work and make all the new goals real!
Happy New Year friends! Hope you’re celebrating and looking forward to making 2017 amazing! I’ll have a post with my 2017 New Year’s Resolutions tomorrow! Have a great party and stay safe!